Our Oak Creek branch at 6400 S. 27th St. is closed for remodeling, please continue banking with us online or at our grocery store location next door (6462 S. 27th St.).

Loss of a Loved One

We're here for you

After the loss of a loved one, your hometown bank is here to help. We know this is a difficult time, and we hope to make it easier with the below Bereavement Guide. We offer this information as a resource for settling the affairs of your loved one, including their finances.

Of course, the compassionate bankers at any of our branches are ready to offer in-person assistance. Thank you for trusting us to serve you during this challenging time.

The information contained herein is not, and is not intended to, constitute legal, tax or financial planning advice. All information and content is for general informational purposes. Contact your attorney, accountant or other financial professional to obtain advice with respect to your particular situation.

Read the Guide

Important documents

Before coming to Tri City, we recommend collecting original copies of the following paperwork, keep in mind that not all may apply to your situation:

  • Death certificate
  • Domiciliary letter
  • Estate EIN
  • Transfer by affidavit
  • Trust paperwork
  • Your personal identification

before coming in

An original or a certified copy of the original death certificate is required before we can take any action on the account. It helps us to verify identity and legal residence. We ask that you provide this as soon as you are able. If you bring in the original, Tri City will make a copy and you will be able to keep the original for your records.

If you are working with one of our local bankers, simply bring the original death certificate with you. You are also welcome to mail a certified copy of the death certificate to one of our local branches.

common questions

How are accounts transferred after my loved one passes?

The transfer will vary depending on the titling of the accounts and whether payable on death (POD) beneficiaries have been named. A death certificate will be required before Tri City is able to work with the beneficiary on any account transfers. Please reach out to our hometown banking team for more information on your circumstances.

How long will it take for funds to be released?

Tri City will begin processing the release of funds as soon as the request is made and the proper documentation is provided.

How long should the account remain open?

It’s recommended that a loved one’s account is closed after any reclamations have been made, such as Social Security or other benefits. You may be required to create an estate with the assistance of an attorney if funds will continue to be deposited or dispersed in your loved one’s name.

What happens to my loved one's loans?

In general, a deceased person’s debt will be paid through their estate and you would only be personally responsible if you had a joint loan with the loved one or provided a loan guarantee. Please reach out to our hometown banking team for more information on settling your loved one’s loan(s).

Some content requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view.